Monday, December 15, 2008

A Campfire Inside!

Ever since we moved upstairs, Chris has been determined to get the fireplace to work. We were told it didn't work when we bought the house. He has looked at inserts (too expensive), tried to find one that fits (they are too big) and now is experimenting with what we have. Experimentation has been very interesting!!!

Some days, our house smells like we had a campfire inside. He puts paper up the flume and lights it. When it burns, then he starts a fire in the fireplace. On occasion, the smoke goes out the front of the fireplace instead of up the chimney - thus the campfire smell throughout the house. He opens the windows and front door. The house goes cold (thus negating the reason for having a wood fire in the first place.) I want a gas fireplace for MANY reasons (open flame, kids, messy, inconvenient, Cadence is freaked out by the popping, etc). Chris insists on wood. So he keeps making fires. Some of which the smoke makes it up the chimney and some of which the smoke fills the house. We have unhooked the fire detector (not smart).

SO IF YOU COME TO OUR HOUSE AND IT SMELLS LIKE A CAMPFIRE, YOU WILL KNOW WHY!!!
The oh so lovely fireplace!!!

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

We have a gas one. That, when it still worked, had a tiny little blue flame. It kept us warm for months! (Insert eyeroll here)

Aaron and crystal said...

I miss the fireplace from our old house. I have to agree with Chris. wood is the only way to go. Just think of it this way... It brings you close to the pioneers :)

Miranda said...

Ah ha! I knew I smelled campfire! LOL! Frank was trying to convince me I was smelling things (he has a very weak sense of smell).