Saturday, May 16, 2009

Not So Sweet Thunderstorm

About two weeks ago, (I am very behind on posts), there was a very big thunder and lightning storm. I love that we can sit on the front porch and watch it rain and snow without getting wet. As a family, we bundled in blankets to watch and listen to it rain, lightning and thunder. (It is great desensitization for Cadence to experience it with us.) It downpoured for a good 45-60 minutes. We loved the puddles, river in the street, water-filled flowerbeds until........

I got a call in the morning from our downstairs tenant, Miranda, telling us that the smaller bedrooms' carpet was wet. Yep, there was so much rain that it filled up this small window well and flooded one room in the basement!!! We got to pull out the carpet and pad to let it dry and cut out some sheetrock in the wall to see if the insulation was wet (it wasn't really!)
This is just what we needed. One more project to do on top of everything else. Luckily, the carpet and pad dried within the week and we were able to reinstall it without too much trouble. We will fix the drywall in a little while. I'm grateful for downstairs neighbors who are easy to work with!!!

4 comments:

Aaron and crystal said...

Look at those manly men trudging outside with all that HEAVY carpet :) I love the rain but have also had bad experiences with flooding! I am glad that yours was an easy fix.

Tara Bergsjo said...

I hate it when that happens! Last year I flooded 3 rooms in our basement. I forgot that I left the hose on!:( It was a horrible experience!

Brody said...

Ohh that's no good! I'm glad it wasn't too much of a hastle, but still, that's no fun!

Brody said...

That was Kylee by the way.