Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cabinet Door Makeover

So I've figured out that we are going to be living in this house 'til we die with how slow things are going on remodeling. (It's NOT going - that is the problem.) I've decided to actually do something about our current kitchen to make it look a little better. And I mean just a little. This is what the old (1917) kitchen cabinets look like.
The cabinet glass doors have been broken. The potato and flour bins (I think that is what they were) have been removed because Cooper kept pulling them out and they were big and heavy and scary). Some wood pieces are missing. I am NOT one of those glass door/let everyone see in my perfect cabinet type people. Our dishes don't match and everything is shoved in everywhere.
My friend, Katie, has an older kitchen and she added some fabric over her cabinets to add some beauty. I thought I would do the same. I went to my remnant fabric stash and found the closest blue fabric to match the kitchen paint. Luckily, there was one that was almost a yard. It is bland and doesn't add much color or design, but it does the job. I pinned it in place on the back of the cabinet door. (Some day, maybe I will find a cute fabric with more color and staple it in place:)
Now you can't see in my messy cabinets. (But I actually have to open the doors to get stuff out. I use to just reach through the non-existent glass.) Pretty good for $2.98!

I've linked to DIY Day at ASPTL and Creative Cats on Poppies at Play.

16 comments:

Brody said...

Man, that would be sweet to not even have to open your cupboards to get stuff! But I guess it would be a pain to keep it looking nice. I think the fabric looks good!

Brody said...

That was Kylee by the way

Tara Bergsjo said...

I like that idea! It looks great!!

Kristina P. said...

They look great, Michelle!

I'm Mindy. said...

I love the difference!! Looking good!

Andy Porter said...

Yay Michelle!! I'm so glad you linked up!! I am right there with you on the "hide your stuff" idea. When we first moved into our house I thought about taking the doors off of the cabinets...I'm so glad I didn't entertain that thought for too long. I love how you put fabric up. It's such a nice touch! Your kitchen looks really cute!

Linds said...

SO GREAT! How nice to get that done!

Kelsea said...

What a great idea! Nice work!

Mindi B said...

Okay, that last comment was really from me. I didn't realize my daughter, Kelsea, was logged into her account on my computer. :)

Aaron and crystal said...

Love the look!!! I know that neighbor of your, Katie you said her name was?! She is a silly woman

Nicole A. said...

It looks Great!! It makes a huge difference!

Carrie said...

LOL! I have the same thing going on in my kitchen! Great idea for de-cluttering!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

looks great!! Its a really wonderful idea! :)

Unknown said...

I love it! What a great compromise to the glass/cabinet door problem. This one cost you nothing and looks very pretty. Clever, clever!!

Laurel said...

Great simple fix. Looks great and I like the simple and clean look of just the blue. New here, just stopped by to say hi!

Katey said...

That is just fabulous! Nice work :)