Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bad Hair Days

This is how Cadence wakes up some mornings. I'm not joking. We didn't rat her hair for this picture!

She calls my names and wants me to hold her for 15 minutes - not Cooper. Then we proceed to get ready for the day. She doesn't want to use the big girl potty because she wants to be a baby, but usually she will oblige my request and sit on the potty. Then we get dressed, make her bed, put her books away and....do her hair. This is the major morning struggle. She doesn't want me to comb her hair. It is snarly. It hurts. I have to get it wet. I have tried detangler that smells good and it doesn't seem to work. I put conditioner on it when we wash her hair and it helps some. Combing her hair seems to take forever. She squiggles, dances, plays around and turns her head back and forth so I can't do it. All of this happens while she is on top of the counter in the bathroom so she can't run away.

Some days, I almost give up and let her go without getting her hair combed until I think about her looking like a neglected orphan when we go out. Really, who would let their daughter be seen in public looking like the above picture? So, I am looking for solutions to this battle. Any ideas? How do I make her hair less snarly so she will let me comb it? Until the blessed day comes that I can do her hair without a huge fuss and fight, please understand that I do my best. Some of the cute braids and intricate hair styles that would look so cute will have to wait. A pony on the top of the head will have to do.

5 comments:

rebecca said...

Fabric Softener sheets. Maybe the liquid will work as well. My mother used them on us as kids. You can throw them in a glass of water and dip the comb in, or in dire circumstances (cause this never happened to me as a kid) get the dryer sheet wet and rub it on top of the hair. I think its a combo of the softener stuff and the wax in the sheets cause it would keep is somewhat detangled until we washed our hair again.

Kylee said...

that hair-do is awesome! I totally thought you made it look like that, I can't believe that's just how it is! You always make it look so cute no one would ever know...

I saw that duck in the road and I was so sad for it! I agree, there is a lot of people that speed down our road.

Camille said...

Tangles are tough stuff! My best bet was putting on a movie (or podcast) and working out the tangles. I find that most of the detanglers from the store, not salon, actually make it WORSE. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Use a pick first or WIDE toothed comb, then use a smaller one. Of course, my best solution, is come over to my house every morning so I can see my babies and I'll do her hair and you can do Kaylee's. Because if Cadence is anything like Kaylee (and I think they share many similarities...) she won't fight me like she fights you!

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

Olivia has always put up a good fight (scream) when it's hair combing time. I finally found a "magic brush" you can find one similar most anywhere, the key is for it to have a combo of long skinny bristles (with the plastic nobbies on top) and the short bunched together bristles. It also is an oval shape. A mom at Olivia's dance class swore by it and I have had great success. Hope it helps but I LOVE Cadence's bushy uncombed hair!

Heather said...

That is just too funny. I've realized I am doomed big time if I ever have a girl. For one, I can't do cute hair styles and second, Parker throws a fit and runs away from me when all I am trying to do is take one fast brush to comb his short hair. Good luck with the battle!